Oakland Mayor Barbara Lee released a press release Friday that she has been told by Alameda County Sheriff Yesenia Sanchez that “Border Patrol operations are cancelled for the greater Bay Area…” Local officials said they expect this includes Contra Costa County.
Sgt. Roberto Morales, a spokesperson for the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office, confirmed to Richmondside’s sister publication, The Oaklandside, that Sanchez has been told the federal government’s planned surge operation won’t happen — at this time — in Oakland and the rest of the county.
Tony Tamayo, Richmond Mayor Eduardo Martinez’s chief of staff, told Richmondside and that they were notified of the Alameda County announcement and are currently verifying that it applies to Contra Costa County.
“We don’t have a reason to indicate that it (the announcement) would not include us,” Tamayo said. “We are seeking clarification from the California Governor’s Office as well as staff representatives of (State) Sen. Jesse Arreguín’s Office.”
Contra Costa County Supervisor John Gioia confirmed via a text Friday that the CBP stand-down includes Contra Costa County.
Richmond City Council District 6 council member Claudia Jimenez told Richmondside on Friday that the city remains “vigilant” despite this apparent change of course.
“We are saying that even if there’s an official big operation these (federal agents) are still here so we need to be careful,” she said. “We are going to patrol Home Depot tomorrow morning, and the city is going to continue with the plan we have to be vigilant.”
Jimenez encouraged residents to continue reporting what they see to local rapid response networks and said that more than 200 people have already RSVP’d for Reimagine Richmond’s “mass organizing” call, which is taking via Zoom at 7 p.m. tonight.
Reimagine Richmond Rapid Response and Community Defense Call
What: Learn about current immigrant solidarity efforts in Richmond and how you can support them.
When: Fri., Oct. 24, 7 p.m.
Details: Zoom link provided after RSVP.
Think you see ICE agents? You can call Stand Together Contra Costa at (925) 900-5151; if it’s in Richmond, you can call 510-240-9420.
Not much is known about what Customs and Border Protection was originally planning, but the Trump administration had ordered some kind of “surge” operation targeting San Francisco and possibly other parts of the Bay Area, reportedly to begin on Saturday. On Thursday, The Oaklandside saw a caravan of CBP agents entering Coast Guard Island, a base located in the Oakland Estuary. The Coast Guard told The Oaklandside on Wednesday that the facilities would be providing support to CBP for an “operation” that was underway.
Protesters gathered at the entrance to Coast Guard Island throughout the day on Thursday, holding a march, a picket, and a faith vigil opposing any immigration crackdown.
Later in the day, President Donald Trump announced on social media he was pausing any federal “surge” in San Francisco. That left Oakland and other Bay Area communities wondering if they too would be spared.

Trump and the Department of Homeland Security, which governs CBP, have yet to clarify publicly what their intentions are for Oakland and other East Bay cities.
In a joint Facebook statement posted Thursday afternoon in English and Spanish, referring to the news that the enforcement operation had been halted, Martinez and Richmond City Manager Shasa Curl said they participated in a briefing hosted by the Governor’s Office during which they learned, “…there is virtually no communication between state and federal officials.”
They said the Governor’s Office recommended that community members refer to the following resources for information: Immigration and Family Information and Know Your Rights (Conozca Sus Derechos).
“We are advising local stakeholders and immigrant-serving organizations to remain alert, and coordinated outreach is in progress, so that residents understand their rights and know how to access assistance if required,” the statement said, adding that they anticipate that the local immigration enforcement offices that are housed in the San Francisco Bay Area will resume their normal operations.
“Please note that this is a dynamic situation, and future federal actions remain unknown. We will continue to monitor developments closely and will provide you with further updates as soon as additional information becomes available.”
Bay Area groups send strong message to feds: You’re not welcome here
Bay Area immigrant advocates sent a clear message throughout the day Thursday that Trump’s Coast Guard island exercise was not taken lightly.
Dozens of community advocates gathered at the steps of San Francisco’s City Hall at noon on Thursday to send a clear and resounding message: They will protect local immigrant families targeted by the Trump administration with threats of detention and deportation.
Organized by the Bay Area nonprofit Bay Resistance, the event was described by a few of the speakers as the real beginning of the Bay Area’s fight against the Trump administration’s immigration crackdowns.
Francisco Herrera, who leads the immigrant defense committee at Bay Resistance and has also led a San Francisco day labor program, said that instead of saying good afternoon in the midday heat he would say “good morning,” because “it’s the beginning of the rest of our resistance lives.”
Organizers announced a joint statement from more than 150 Bay Area organizations calling on the Trump administration to stay out of the Bay Area and allow local officials to govern peacefully.
“The broad coalition will denounce the violence and damage the invasions of American cities have unleashed on working people, immigrant families, and local economies, and will pledge to stand united to protect each other from harm,” the statement reads.
San Francisco elected officials; nursing, engineering, and transit union leaders; the Arab Resource and Organizing Center, and Trabajadores Unidos Workers United, which represents Latino blue-collar workers, were also present.
Richmondside reporter Joel Umanzor contributed to this report. This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
